Follow us on:



Connecting a user to the electricity network

Setting up a new connection consists in linking the customer’s meter to the local distribution network. If the connection has already been made, it must be activated to allow the supply of electricity to the user’s meter. Distributors have an obligation to link up to their distribution networks all persons who so request, without undermining continuity of service and subject to compliance with technical rules and payment of the connection fee.

How to request a new connection

If you want to link up to the electricity distribution network but do not want to activate the supply immediately, you will need to contact your local distributor directly.

If you want to set up the connection and activate the supply at the same time, you will need to contact a supplier to enter into a supply contract and request a new connection and activation. The supplier will forward your request to the local distribution company on your behalf.

How much does a new connection cost?

For a standard new connection with no time limit, you will be required to pay the distribution company a lump sum that comprises:

  • a distance charge: the distance is calculated in a straight line between the meter to be connected and the nearest substation that has been in use for at least 5 years. For residential customers with an available capacity of 3.3 kW, there is a standing charge regardless of the distance; for any subsequent increase in the available capacity, the distributor will apply an additional charge for the actual distance if this is more than 200 metres;
  • a capacity charge: this is based on the available capacity. For power levels of up to 30 kW where the meter has a capacity limit, the available capacity is 10% more than that indicated in the connection request (committed capacity);
  • a fixed charge: this is to cover the administrative costs incurred by the distributor to set up the connection.

The cost of setting up the new connection must always be stated in the price quote sent to the customer for approval.

Activating an existing connection

If you have moved in to a home that is already connected to the supply network and all you need to do is reactivate the electricity supply, and possibly also install a meter, you must ask your chosen supplier to activate the meter. This procedure is called take-over.

The supplier will send your activation request to the local distributor and, where provided for in the contract, may charge an administrative fee.

If you move in to a home where there is already an active electricity supply contract in the previous owner’s name, you may ask the supplier to transfer the contract to your name without any interruption of the electricity supply. You may also choose a different tariff plan from among those offered by the supplier. This procedure is called transfer and, where provided for in the contract, the company may charge an administrative fee.

Changing supplier

All electricity customers are free to choose their supplier and the conditions under which the service is provided, and to switch to a new supplier at any time.

To change supplier, once you have chosen the tariff plan best suited to your needs, all you have to do is take out the new supply contract to replace the previous one. The supplier switching procedure and termination of the previous contract will be performed by the new supplier.

Customers may switch energy suppliers at no charge, with the exception of any costs to take out the new contract: stamp duty, if due under the tax laws in force, deposit or other guarantee, if required under the contract.

Comparison of available tariff plans

You can compare the tariff plans available in your area in a simple, reliable way on the Regulatory Authority’s public website (

For each available tariff plan, the website calculates the estimated annual cost based on consumption levels provided by you or estimated by the system based on your usage, and displays the main features of the plan. You can refine your search results by using different filters to select only the most relevant plans.

Customers in financial difficulty

Household customers who find themselves in financial difficulty and large families are entitled to an electricity allowance (bonus elettrico) in the form of a discount on their electricity bill. These customers are also entitled to gas and water allowances.
You are eligible for the allowance if your family unit has an ISEE indicator not exceeding € 8,265, or if you have more than three dependent children and an ISEE indicator not exceeding € 20,000, or if your family includes a citizenship income or citizenship pension holder. ISEE is the indicator of the economic situation of the family generally used in Italy for accessing social assistance schemes at national or local level and is calculated by INPS (the national social security institution) upon request by the interested party. If your ISEE level makes you eligible for the allowance, INPS will activate a procedure that will let you obtain it automatically.

Customers with serious health problems

Residential customers whose household includes someone who is dependent on electrically-powered life support medical equipment, are eligible for the electricity allowance for physical hardship in the form of a discount on their electricity bill.

The amount of the electricity allowance for physical hardship depends on the agreed power capacity and the electricity used by life support equipment when in use. This discount may be granted in addition to the allowance for financial hardship (electricity, gas and water), for customers who meet the criteria for both cases.

The electricity bonus for physical hardship can be applied for to the Municipality where you reside.

Information and complaints

If you require information about the service provided or want to lodge a complaint, you will need to contact your electricity supplier via their established communication channels. Only complaints regarding distribution or metering services, such as delays in setting up a new connection, may be submitted to the distribution company.

When you submit a written request for information or a complaint, the company must provide a reasoned and substantiated reply in writing, within 30 calendar days after receiving your request or complaint.

If you require general information about the electricity service or the rules established by the Regulatory Authority, and for help on how to solve any problems with your supplier, you may contact the Energy and Environment Consumer Help Desk,the contact point set up by the Regulatory Authority to give consumers information and assistance in a range of areas, free of charge.

Resolving disputes

If no solution is reached after submitting a written complaint, you may try to resolve the dispute by initiating a settlement procedure, in which the customer and supplier, or their representatives, work together to find a solution that is satisfactory for both parties.

This settlement procedure is of particular relevance for electricity service customers, as issues cannot be taken to court unless an attempt has first been made to resolve the dispute in this way. Alternatively, this mandatory attempt to reach a settlement may be carried out: