Follow us on:



Connecting a user to the gas network

Setting up a new connection consists in linking the customer’s meter to the local distribution network. If the connection has already been made, it must be activated to allow the supply of gas to the user’s meter.

Distributors have an obligation to link up to their distribution networks all persons who so request within the territorial area where they provide the service, provided they have adequate system capacity, the works required to make the connection are technically and economically viable and subject to payment of the connection fee.

How to request a new connection

If you want to link up to the gas distribution network but do not want to activate the supply immediately, you will need to contact your local distributor directly.

If you want to set up the connection and activate the supply at the same time, you will need to contact a supplier to enter into a supply contract and request a new connection and activation. The supplier will forward your request to the local distribution company on your behalf.

How much does a new connection cost?

Connection charges are set forth in the Service Regulations, drawn up on the basis of the concession agreement under which the local distribution company operates, and are published in a specific price list on the company’s website.

The cost of setting up the new connection must always be stated in the price quote sent to the customer for approval.

Activating an existing connection

If you have moved in to a home that is already connected to the supply network and all you need to do is reactivate the gas supply, and possibly also install a meter, you must ask your chosen supplier to activate the meter. This procedure is called take-over.

The supplier will send your activation request to the local distributor and, where provided for in the contract, may charge an administrative fee.

If you move in to a home where there is already an active gas supply contract in the previous owner’s name, you may ask the supplier to transfer the contract to your name without any interruption of the gas supply. You may also choose a different tariff plan from among those offered by the supplier. This procedure is called transfer and, where provided for in the contract, the company may charge an administrative fee.

Changing supplier

All natural gas customers are free to choose their supplier and the conditions under which the service is provided, and to switch to a new supplier at any time.

To change supplier, once you have chosen the tariff plan best suited to your needs, all you have to do is take out the new supply contract to replace the previous one. The supplier switching procedure and termination of the previous contract will be performed by the new supplier.

Customers may switch energy suppliers at no charge, with the exception of any costs to take out the new contract: stamp duty, if due under the tax laws in force, deposit or other guarantee, if required under the contract.

Comparison of available tariff plans

You can compare the tariff plans available in your area in a simple, reliable way in the Tariff Plans section of the Regulatory Authority’s public website (

For each available tariff plan, the website calculates the estimated annual cost based on consumption levels provided by you or estimated by the system based on your usage, and displays the main features of the plan. You can refine your search results by using different filters to select only the most relevant plans.

Customers in financial difficulty

Residential customers who find themselves in financial difficulty and large families are entitled to a gas allowance (bonus gas) in the form of a discount on their gas bill and a direct refund in case of centralized condominium heating powered by gas. These customers are also entitled to electricity and water allowances.
You are eligible for the allowance if your family unit has an ISEE indicator not exceeding € 8,265, or if you have more than three dependent children and an ISEE indicator not exceeding € 20,000, or if your family includes a citizenship income or citizenship pension holder. ISEE is the indicator of the economic situation of the family generally used in Italy for accessing social assistance schemes at national or local level and is calculated by INPS (the national social security institution) upon request by the interested party. If your ISEE level makes you eligible for the allowance, INPS will activate a procedure that will let you obtain it automatically.

Information and complaints

If you require information about the service provided or want to lodge a complaint, you will need to contact your gas supplier via their established communication channels. Only complaints regarding distribution or metering services, such as delays in setting up a new connection, may be submitted to the distribution company.

When you submit a written request for information or a complaint, the company must provide a reasoned and substantiated reply in writing, within 30 calendar days after receiving your request or complaint.

If you require general information about the gas service or the rules established by the Regulatory Authority, and for help on how to solve problems with your supplier, you may contact the Energy and Environment Consumer Help Desk, the contact point set up by the Regulatory Authority to give consumers information and assistance in a range of areas, free of charge.

Resolving disputes

If no solution is reached after submitting a written complaint, you may try to resolve the dispute by initiating a settlement procedure, in which the customer and supplier, or their representatives, work together to find a solution that is satisfactory for both parties. This settlement procedure is of particular relevance for gas service customers, as issues cannot be taken to court unless an attempt has first been made to resolve the dispute in this way. Alternatively, this mandatory attempt to reach a settlement may be carried out:

  • through the Dispute Settlement Service, provided by the Regulatory Authority;
  • for residential customers, through the bodies included in the list of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution) bodies held by the Regulatory Authority;
  • through Chambers of Commerce parties to the Agreement signed by the Regulatory Authority and Unioncamere (the Italian Union of Chambers of Commerce);for further information, please visit the specific area of the ARERA website Dispute Settlement - Chambers of Commerce parties to the Agreement.